02 May 2010

mixing up homophones

This is the part where I admit that I loved pharmacology. Almost everyone complained about it all the time, but I think it's fascinating. Can't wait for patho. I ended the semester on a high note... scoring about 90% in all my classes. Sweet.

Some quotes while studying for finals that I feel particularly highlight the special-ness of nursing students:

Me: "How does an oil retention enema work?"
Her: "You mean an oral retention enema?"
Me: "Um, no, all enemas go in the other end."
Her: "Well, it's for impaction, and if a patient is impacted, how else are you gonna get it up in there?"
Me: "..."

I can see that going well... "Excuse me, sir, I'm gonna need to you open up please."

And then we reviewed enema procedure. If you give an enema in a left side-lying position, logic would suggest that a patient lie on their right side while waiting for it to work. Or possibly on their back.

Me: "How would you position a patient to help them hold an enema?"
Her: "On their stomach with their butt in the air."
Me: Hysterical laughter

Sometimes you just have to wonder.

*Technically, oil and oral aren't homophones, but in this case they were.

No comments:

Post a Comment

that's what she said.